Breathe
by Scott Horn
Friday the 22nd of January, 2010
From: sam_hunt@supermail.com
To: lotusflower@supermail.com
Dear Jessica,
I've arrived safely in Australia. Nobody was kidding when they said it was hot here in Perth, way hotter than New Zealand! Whenever I go out I have to wear a singlet, shorts and a pair of jandals. Jandals! Can you believe it? I've never worn jandals in my life! They say this is the hottest it gets, so it should be better soon. Anyway, other than the weather, everything is going alright. The house is small; a kitchen, a bathroom, two bedrooms and that's it. But it's really cute, I'm sure you'd love it. I've been getting out a bit. Everyday I go out adventuring - with instructions from Google Maps - to try and find interesting places. There are plenty of malls, but not many good stores. You wouldn't believe the amount of clothes stores! Where are they hiding all the video games shops? I've also been looking at schools. I've decided on one, it's called Parkton College. It's really close to home and looks like a good school. I can't decide whether I'm more excited or nervous to start... I guess it doesn't matter. Mum's out at work, so I've been doing all the unpacking. It's a real pain! Why did Mum insist on bringing all of those stupid vases and cushions with her? She also makes me cook three times a week. I NEVER cooked back in New Zealand, and now I have to make dinner half of the time? She's just begging me to accidentally blow up the house or something... Well it's safe to say that I've been busy. So busy I haven't had time to breathe.
Love
Sam
Friday the 12th of February, 2010
From: sam_hunt@supermail.com
To: lotusflower@supermail.com
Dear Jessica,
Just finished my first week at my new school. I'm surprisesd to say that it was pretty relaxed. I had a lot of fun, and made a lot of new friends. None of them are as awesome as you, though. The classes are really casual, we only do work like half of the time! Although I get given a lot of homework... And I'm actually doing it! I thought I better make a good first impression with my teachers. I don't even remember the last time I did homework back in New Zealand, do you? Of course, I'm missing you and the others like mad, but I'm finding myself missing people I'd never thought I'd miss like Ella Francis and Troy Everwood. What's up with that? Mum's loving her new job, so it looks like I'll be staying here for a while. I'm still working on getting her to let me come back for the formal. She says it's too expensive, but I'm sure she'll give in. Anyway, enough about me, what's up with you?
Love,
Sam
Wednesday the 10th of March, 2010
From: sam_hunt@supermail.com
To: lotusflower@supermail.com
Dear Jessica,
Of course you miss me! I'm amazing! Just kidding, I miss you too, babe. Parties aren't the same without you. God, Nic is such a prick. I can't believe you still hang out with him. How's Amy going? You were really worried about her when I left...
It's my birthday in a week! I wish you were here to celebrate with me. Sorry I haven't been e-mailing you so much (it's been nearly a month since my last e-mail), I've been really busy. I've met this girl called Natalie, she's really funny and reminds me so much of you! School ball is coming up, I don't know if I should ask anyone...
Love,
Sam
Tuesday the 30th of March, 2010
From: sam_hunt@supermail.com
To: lotusflower@supermail.com
Dear Jessica,
Oh God, I miss you so much. I didn't realize how hard this would be. I'm regretting coming here so much. I mean, everyone here is nice and all, but they're not you. I wish I could be with you.
Love,
Sam
Saturday the 24th of April, 2010
From: sam_hunt@supermail.com
To: lotusflower@supermail.com
Dear Jessica,
Yeah, thanks. I know it was the right decision to come. It's just hard, you know? Things are getting better, though. I still miss you like mad, but I'm dealing with it.
Term two has begun and things are starting to pick up now. School is a lot harder, and they're making me do work. Still, it's keeping me occupied and keeping my mind off of other things. I'm taking two English classes here; English Literature and English Language. I like them both but Language is my favourite, that's where we do things like creative writing. Maths couldn't be more boring. Why did I take it again? Hey, you took Fashion Desigm this year, right? How's that going? Do you get to hang with the hot girls like Lisa Tanning and Maria Down?
Love,
Sam
Saturday the 15th of May, 2010
From: sam_hunt@supermail.com
To: lotusflower@supermail.com
Dear Jessica,
Haha, that's brilliant! Glad you're having fun. If I had stayed, I would've taken Fashion Design with you.
How do you know about Michaela? Did you see the photos on Facebook? Yeah, she's my girlfriend. Sorry, I never told you, I guess it just slipped my mind. Hey how is Tom? Got any intereting sex stories to tell me? You know how much I love to hear those... Hey, you never said about Amy, how is she? I sent her an e-mail once but she never replied. Don't tell me she's moved on! It's only been like a year and a half or something...
Miss you SO much, babe.
Love,
Sam
Friday the 2nd of July, 2010
From: sam_hunt@supermail.com
To: lotusflower@supermail.com
Dear Jessica,
Babe, guess who's coming back for formal? ME! I'm so excited to see you (what? what do you mean, "everybody else"?) in just over a month! I've got my outfit all picked out. I went in black last year, so I'm going to go in white this year. It's going to be excellent. I bet you'll look gorgeous. It's supposed to be a holiday but I'm only there for a week and I'll be spending the whole time visiting friends and family (and partying) that I still won't have time to breathe. Oh, I know you'll be going with Tom, but you better not totally ignore me again like you did last formal!
Love,
Sam
Friday the 22nd of July, 2010
From: sam_hunt@supermail.com
To: lotusflower@supermail.com
Dear Jessica,
Only a few more days until I come to Christchurch! I can barely wait. I'm driving all my Australian friends crazy by talking about my New Zealand Friends so much. What are you wearing? Who is everyone else going with? I can't wait to see everyone. I wonder how much they've changed. I'm hoping that they're still the same, so it won't be awkward. But then, I know that they're going to be different because how can they not be? Can I stay at your house during the weekend? We need to have a massive gossip session. I have so much to tell you, and so much I want you to tell me about!
Love,
Sam
Monday the 16th of August, 2010
From: sam_hunt@supermail.com
To: lotusflower@supermail.com
Dear Jessica,
Aaargh! Seeing you for those few days just made living here so much harder. I miss you so much and it's only been a week or two since I've seen you. I had a lot of fun, though. I nearly forgot what it used to be like... I LOVED all the photos on Facebook. Everyone looks so adorable!
After that conversation we had at your house on Sunday night, the first thing I did when I got back was break up with Michaela. It was the right thing to do, I think, and I'm happy it's over now. And it's all thanks to you! How is it you always know what I should do in a situation? I guess you just know me so well.
Love,
Sam
Friday the 17th of September, 2010
From: sam_hunt@supermail.com
To: lotusflower@supermail.com
Dear Jessica,
A month and a day since I've e-mailed you! Sorry! I've been so caught up in life over here, I didn't have the time. Of course I didn't forget about you! Everything is going so well at the moment. School is going great, I've been getting good marks and I'm enjoying all of my classes. All of my friends are lovely, and I have so much fun with them. Everything with Mum is good. And I'm in a much better relationship than the one I was in with Michaela. I feel like everything is on the right track and if it keeps up like this, I'll be able to relax and take a breath soon.
How are things with you?
Love,
Sam
Tuesday the 21th of September, 2010
From: sam_hunt@supermail.com
To: lotusflower@supermail.com
On Sunday morning I was in a car accident. I'm alright, but some of my friends are really badly injured. My friend Chris is dead. I don't know what to do.
Wednesday the 14th of October, 2010
From: sam_hunt@supermail.com
To: lotusflower@supermail.com
Dear Jessica,
Thanks, babe. Yeah, I'm dealing. But it's hard. Everything is really awkward. I feel so guilty, you know? I was right there in the car and I couldn't do anything. I feel as if I should've done something different... Maybe things would've turned out for the better? I just don't know what to do. I wish you were here with me...
Love,
Sam
Saturday the 14th of November, 2010
From: sam_hunt@supermail.com
To: lotusflower@supermail.com
Dear Jessica,
Yeah, I know it's not my fault. Thanks for cheering me up, though. Things are better now. Nothing's still quite normal, but it's getting there. School is helping keep my mind of it all. I think I'll be alright soon. Or at least, I hope...
Aaargh! Babe, exams start in TWO DAYS! Is it the same for you? I'm freaking out! If I want to go to university here in Perth, then I have to do well. Have you made any plans for next year yet? You better hurry up!
I love you, Jess. I really do.
Love,
Sam
Sunday the 6th of December, 2010
From: sam_hunt@supermail.com
To: lotusflower@supermail.com
Dear Jessica,
Okay, I've decided. I'm coming back to New Zealand. It's nice here in Perth, but it just isn't where I want to be. I want to be in New Zealand. With you. With everybody. That's where I belong. I'll spend Christmas and New Year's here, and then come back at the start of next year.
Now I can finally breathe.
Love,
Sam
No comments:
Post a Comment